Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Khan Academy

I love Khan Academy, and I've been recommending it to the students I tutor since I first learned about it. It has the potential to revolutionize education, but not everyone agrees. I think it (or something like it) will be the future of math education.

The Khan Model, A Two Act Play:

Act I: Old Model
In School
Teacher: Teach, teach, teach, teach, teach.
Student: Ms. Teacher, I don't quite understand.
Teacher: I'd love to individualize your education Sally, but it's time for you to go to your next class.
At Home
Student: I hate math.

Act II: Khan Model
At Home
Computer: Teach, teach, teach, teach, teach.
In School
Student: Ms. Teacher, I don't quite understand.
Teacher: Well Sally, seeing how you already heard the bulk of the lesson at home, I have plenty of time to individualize your education.
Everyone: Yay!

The End

2 comments:

  1. And by plenty of time you mean ~2 minutes? Figuring an hour long class and 30 students to a class...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By plenty of time I mean more than is currently available.

      Delete